May 9, 2013
HUGE THANKS go out to all the presenters, participants, helpers, organizers, and host(esse)s who made 2013′s EXCHANGE FAIR @ LEARNING MAN a success! It was a beautiful day, with many new members, people learning new skills, facts and ways of thinking, delicious raw foods, and lots of members geting to meet each other for the first time offline. We are filled with inspiration and ideas for the next time!
On May 18th, Cliff will be out at the Sustainable Swap, to orient you at 1:30 if you want to get started.
On May 19th, an all-community potluck will be held at Krishna’s South Austin home from noon to 2:30, with a musical theme! Bring some food to share for lunch, and an instrument or song or two. 615 Clifford Dr. Atx 78745 — R.S.V.P.s (to firstname.lastname@example.org) welcome. :-)
April 19, 2013
~A Knowledge-Share Festivity Event for the Greater Austin Community~
Saturday, May 4th, 2013, 11am-4:30pm
Soma Vida Work-Life Center : 1210 Rosewood Ave.
Help us celebrate the Learning Man ideals of sustainability, cooperation, and passion, and expand your artistry and skills with free lectures and workshops from members of the Austin Time Exchange Network.
This immersive community event is a unique opportunity to learn more about your favorite subjects, and the “cost” is mere Hours (for example, a one-hour presentation “costs” you one Hour of service/assistance, which can be volunteered to any member of the Network (300+ members and growing!) at any point in time.
Choose from amazing topics such as: Bicycle Road Skills 101, Intro to Mariachi Appreciation, Creating a Personal Vision, Design Psychology, Natural Homebuilding Techniques, Swedish Massage, and MANY more!!
We will be holding ongoing orientations, too, so if you aren’t already a member, you may join at the event. If you haven’t attended orientation, be sure to arrive at least 45 minutes in advance of the first class you want to take.
In addition, there will be life-affirming nutrients for sale by Roxie’s Rawkin Recipes (everything $5)!
Check out the full line-up of presentations here
and Pre-register (until 8:30am) to reserve a space in the class(es) of your choice by emailing email@example.com
We hope to see you there!
P.S. You may also be interested in the rest of the LEARNING MAN Events that are happening May 3rd, 5th, and 6th…
April 9, 2013
Imagine a day of free workshops, classes and presentations, all contained within one building and offered by fellow Time Exchangers…
Well, we’re going to make it happen on May 4th at Soma Vida!
Soma Vida will host our first ever Learning Man Exchange Fair.
With a speed-orientation available at registration and extra computers available, participants will be able to redeem ATEN Hours for tutelage in the subjects of their choice, all taught by “qualified experts” in their fields. (this is subjective, but we think your own opinion of yourself is worth something…)
Some of the subjects already being covered include: Creating a Personal Vision, Being a Change Agent, Understanding your Non-human Companions, Feng Shui, and Spiritual Healing.
What could YOU contribute to our smorgasbord of smarts?
- Do you know how to make tinctures, ferments, home-made cleaning supplies, or beauty products?
- Are you a professional with Saturdays off and a passion for sharing your experiences and expertise?
- Holistic health, yoga, tai chi?
- Know from experience about starting a co-op, using wordpress for websites, editing photos in Photoshop?
- Have you traveled afar and brought back unique stories?
- Know some tips for being a great babysitter?
- Play an instrument and can show us how, too?
If you have a desire to teach, we want to see you there! You will get Hours for your presentation + preparation time, plus access to all other class sessions.
Email a proposal for your presentation/workshop/class to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14th. Include a brief description of your presentation and your history with the subject, as well as an amount of time that your presentation will take (15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour)
This EXCHANGE FAIR / KNOWLEDGE-SHARE is happening in tandem with Austin’s Learning Man 2013, which will include events on May 3rd and 5th as well.
/ - / - / - /
If you want to get oriented to ATEN before the event (and earn a one-hour “stimulus” credit), you can come out to the Austin Sustainable Swap on Saturday, April 20th and catch our 1:30pm orientation.
March 8, 2013
Continuing our partnership with the awesome Austin Sustainable Swap, we will be returning to Hot Mama’s Cafe on Saturday, March 16th and giving an orientation at 1:30. SXSW madness will be in full effect, so party atmosphere may prevail as we network on the sidewalk and swap… We shall see! In the meantime, please check out their website.
In late March, rustle up some grub and bring it to the Austin Time Exchange Network’s potluck! Time and place t.b.d. (will be updated very soon).
If you need an early April orientation, we’ve got you covered there: First Sunday, 12:30pm, Vuka Coop.
At our last potluck, in February at Steven Jenner’s home, we enjoyed plentiful food and conversations with friendly Exchangers, both fresh and seasoned.
February 21, 2013
**Sunday, Mar. 3rd; 12:30pm; @ Vuka Coop – 411 Monroe St. 78704
Attend an orientation and join the ranks of happy members such as these who are giving and receiving help in our network
“We teach 4 Citizen Gardener Courses each spring and each fall. We have 8 hours of hands-on instruction outdoors building and planting and learning. To make this flow smoothly and seem easy, a great deal of prep and gathering of materials is necessary – probably 10 – 20 hours. It’s a tough, extra-curricular job to get all of this done in the week before the class – along with regular work, home life, etc.. One can be exhausted and almost cranky by the 1st class day.
This past class, it dawned on me to use ATEN to help me out. [Elton/ATEN] came to my rescue. We did the heavy stuff together – 12 bags of soil, 8 bags of wood chips; building the bulky raised-beds. I spent 10 of my ATEN hours, did the work in less than half the usual time, and had a good, social time doing it. Gone was the drudgery of late night and isolated activity.
Thanks, ATEN. You are awesome. I’m going to ask your help in several other areas about which I’ve been procrastinating.” – Dick Pierce
“I really appreciate how versatile ATEN is! I’ve used it for everything from tutoring to building design and know I will continue to rely on it more for all the interesting things I want to know more about/be able to do, but am just not ready for DIY quite yet. Thanks for being here!”
January 12, 2013
THIS MONTH’S ORIENTATIONS:
- Tomorrow, Sunday the 13th from 4-5pm. Location: Soma Vida – 1210 Rosewood Ave. 78702
- Saturday, January 19th from 1:30 to 2ish. Location: Hot Mama’s Cafe - 2401 E. 6th St. #1004 78702.
This is part of the Austin Sustainable Swap (see below!)
Thanks to Thao Photography for the photos of ATEN’s reps. Cliff and Elton, at the December’s Swap.
Have you heard of the Austin Sustainable Swap? Going on 3 months now, it has existed on Third Saturdays at Hot Mama’s Cafe and is a great addition to Austin’s alternative-commerce landscape. From their website, Austin Sustainable Swap is:
- a meeting space where folks can gather and exchange home-grown produce, home-made crafts, as well as skills and services.
- an educational space, for individuals or groups to provide free workshops and classes to those interested in learning.
- a space for raising awareness; for local non-profit organizations to educate us on how they contribute to our local community, and how we may help them to succeed.
- a place for folk to gather and exchange ideas, plan projects, plant seeds, and gather each other–as resources. Because when we work together, we can accomplish so much.
- a place to let go of the tools or objects you no longer need: clothes,shoes,toys,books,excess supplies…and trade them out for ones that are new, to you, and may serve you better, now.
- a space to play, and dance, and hoop, and spin.
ATEN is grateful to Austin Sustainable Swap for creating this space and the opportunity to reach out to potential new members. Come participate!
And looking into the Future…
- Want to get together for a potluck in February? Okay! In an effort to be more present in areas of town other than East, we would love to find a place (a home, or other free-to-use space) willing to host that is South or North. Please get in touch if you want to host or have a suggestion.
- This year we will be working on a new version of the ATEN web site. It will also be open source and available for other time banks to implement. We might have fewer features at the beginning but hope to scale it up over time and continue to add features according to what the ATEN community needs. More info to come later, so stay tuned!
“I really appreciate how versatile ATEN is! I’ve used it for everything from tutoring to building design and know I will continue to rely on it more for all the interesting things i want to know more about/be able to do, but am just not ready for DIY quite yet. Thanks for being here!” –Leta
Do you have a story about what ATEN has done for you? Please share with us at info@ austintimeexchange.org
December 24, 2012
Wishing you all plenty of time to enjoy those things that make life feel real and full and warm…
And cheers to a new year of using time exchange, meeting new friends, and sharing our skills!
~Next orientation: Sunday, January 13th, 4pm – Soma Vida @ 1210 Rosewood Ave. 78702~